I recently saw this technique on Girl. Inspired. and decided I simply had to make it as a birthday present for Kevin for his office. I love the distressed look of the pictures on canvas and this technique is really not that difficult at all :)
- 8x10 Canvas (I picked mine up at Michaels)
- Tissue paper
- Mod Podge
- Foam Brush
- Scrabook paper
- Acrylic Paint
1. Print your photograph on tissue paper.
Start off by taking a sheet of tissue paper and trimming it slightly larger than 8.5x11". Fold the edges of the tissue paper over a sheet of 8.5x11" cardstock and secure with tape. This will create a sturdy surface which can be fed through your printer. In your photo editing software print an 8x10 photograph onto the tissue paper.
2. Cut strips of patterned paper from scrapbook paper and adhere them with the Mod Podge to the sides of the canvas.
3. Apply a layer of Mod Podge to the front of the canvas. Remove the tissue paper from the cardstock and gently lay it on the front of the canvas. Smooth out all the bubbles using a plastic card.
4. Apply a layer of Mod Podge over the entire image, including the sides. Allow to dry.
5. Add a distressed look by filling in the white spaces along the edge with black acrylic paint.
This method of "printing" on canvas was so easy and really quite inexpensive that I am definitely going to be doing this again really soon. My In-laws have an anniversary coming up and I think this will make the perfect gift for them.
Thanks for stopping by